Tuesday 21 July 2009

super simple hexagon

While I love my regular hexagons, I do find them a bit tiresome after a while and by the 4th chain round (of 5 rounds) I'm usually reaching for the kettle for a wee break. But these whip up in minutes and have only 3 rounds! They work in a very similar way to a granny square, but are much prettier I think.


So, here it is as promised... my Super Simple Hexagon! It's a short pattern so I'm posting the full instructions here, but you can also download it in printable form here.


There is no copyright on this... please feel free to use it for whatever you want! But a little credit and a link back to here would really make me smile! So, now on with the pattern:

Abbreviations Cl St = Cluster Stitch: YO and pull a loop through ring, YO and pull through 2 loops on hook (3 times), YO and pull through all 4 loops on hook.

Pattern written in US English. (because it’s what I’m used to)

Ch 5, join with a sl st to form ring.

Round 1
Ch2, yo and pull a loop through, [3 loops on hook], yo and pull through 2 loops [2 loops on hook], yo and pull a loop through [4 loops on hook], yo and pull through 2 loops [3 loops on hook], yo and pull through all 3 loops on hook, ch2, (cl st, ch 2 into ring) 5 times. Join to top of first cluster with a sl st and fasten off. Pull central thread gently to close ring. [6 cl st and 6 ch2 spaces]

Join in new yarn. Don't forget to work in your ends as you go!

Round 2 Pull yarn through next ch2 space, ch2, (yo and pull a loop through, yo and pull through 2 loops) twice, yo and pull through all 3 loops, ch2, cl st in same space, ch2, *(cl st, ch2, cl st, ch2) all in next space*, repeat from * to * 4 more times, join to top of first cluster with a sl st and fasten off. [12 cl st and 12 ch2 spaces]

Join in new yarn.

Round 3 Pull yarn through next ch2 space, ch3, 2dc in same space, *(3dc, ch2, 3dc) all in next ch2 space, 3dc in next chain space*, repeat from * to * 4 more times, 3dc, ch2, 3dc in final ch2 space, join to top ch of first ch3 and fasten off. [18 3dc groups and 6 ch2 spaces]

You can join your hexagons in whichever way you want. Alex at Moonstitches has quite a good method for joining as you go. Otherwise, you could stitch them all together at the end with a contrasting yarn, which looks lovely.

Do let me know if there is anything you don't understand or if you find any mistakes. Other than that, I'd love to see what you do with it!

36 comments:

  1. these are so pretty (and easy to make !) -- thank you !-- & so tempting : now you have me wondering what type of hexagons I'll choose for my big winter project ("the" blanket LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pattern, very quick and easy, and soooo very pretty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies... I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the pattern! This will become my winter project.
    ♥ Jeannette

    ReplyDelete
  5. What size hook do you use for the pincushion that was featured on Flickr? Did you use embroid.floss?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leanda! I just went to the printable link but it won't let me in...says to notify you to set the "share with" control...do you know what they are talking about? I've never encountered this before. Thanks so much! I am new to your blog and really love your work! It is very inspirational...thanks for sharing!
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! Thank you, this is such a great pattern! I am currently working on it, and had some people asking me to translate it. Would you mind if I did a translation in french. All credit for you, of course.
    Have a nice day!
    Florence.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've printed the to-do recipe and will surely try to finish some stash yarn and make a cushion cover ! I'll link it to your model with Ravelry. Thanks, these hexagons are beautiful & simple.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I was supposed to be finished with blankets, and the sewing them together, but I think you've made me fall off the wagon! I've come via Make, Do, Mend, by the way,

    Thanks!

    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for the tutorial Leanda, these look just perfect for a slightly damp Sunday afternoon activity here in London :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. these are so cute I am going to give them a go. I think they can be my waiting to pick up the children project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not very good in croche so I was looking for easy hexagon for my bag, and I think I found it! Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the pattern, it's lovely! I started my own version yesterday :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely love these hexagons! I found a link to this on StumbleUpon :) I just started learning to crochet this summer, but I want to try these. What size crochet hook and yarn do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  15. It must just be me but I am having the hardest time understanding this pattern. Can someone please help me! I would love to make these!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for the pattern. I have to make this cute hexagon!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks so much for this pattern. I love the fact that it looks like a star in the middle as opposed to the traditional circle looking hexagon and I can whip them up so fast. I've made several out of my scrap yarn already and had to hunt down this site to show my appreciation. THANK YOU!!!
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi,

    I'd like to say thank you for this pattern, I've made this cute photo prop using your instructions: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/IkUL5hpSpz24d0lz2hzStg?feat=directlink
    Made 7 hexagons and stitched them together, and sc-ed along the edge.
    Thanks again! :)
    Edina from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello! I love this pattern, but for some reason I can't get past the first round. Where it says "yo and pull through 2 loops [2 loops on hook], yo and pull a loop through [4 loops on hook]" I can't for the life of me make 2 loops become 4. Thank you for any help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have this same problem! Did you ever figure it out?

      Delete
  20. How did you get yours so tight and puffy looking. Mine is all stretched out and skinny :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. This will be perfect for my niece who is a beginner crocheter. She fell in love with hexagons and is ready to make her very first blanket. Linking up at Tangled Happy tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have just had the most wonderful wander through your blog. Really inspiring and beautiful. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  23. These are adorable! I'm new to crocheting and added this to my Pinterest board to try very soon. Love how you made them into a pin cushion too. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for the fantastic tutorial Leanda, I'm quite new to crochet but found your pattern easy to follow, I'll be making a coffee and cream blanket to cover my old brown leather sofa.
    florence

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sara sent me over...absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for the free pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. So love this pattern. It's my next project for this year. After finishing a lovely flower granny afghan with 198 squares which I started last year and was taking like forever to finish, this will be a joy to do!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks for the pattern! I love your color choices in these examples too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I am working on one right now, the "old" way. So far so good. I was seeing how you joined them. Any tutorials on that? I am thinking about the single crochet method. Are yours whip stitch? thanks for posting!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janie... please see second to last paragraph for that :)

      Delete
  29. Awesome!! Thank you. I'm going to make a cushion cover from them :) ta x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for the pattern, I am going to try this with a few yarns that I want to combine. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm using this as a substitute to the hexagons in this pattern: http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00498&cat_id=321

    This will be much easier. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for the pattern, I'm going to start soon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. very pretty! I love your color choices!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Have looked for a long time for a simple hexagon pattern.
    Thank you This is what I have been looking for.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog... its always nice to hear from you so please feel free to leave me a comment.

Leanda :)